ASSISTANT HEAD OF DEPARTMENT [LEAD TUTOR] IN DANCE PERFORMANCE
LMA has a proven record of delivering high quality courses focused around the Creative Industries. We have high levels of student satisfaction and achievement. Due to this success, and high student demand, we are at another important and exciting point in our development.
In September 2023, we will be opening new, expanded facilities at our London Campus – and we are looking for new talented members of the team who share our vision about delivering the best possible education and opportunities to our students.
About the Role
We are looking for a new full time, permanent Assistant Head of Department (Lead Tutor) in Dance Performance to join the LMA team in London. In addition to supporting the smooth running of the department, successful candidates will be expected to make a significant contribution to the delivery of high quality teaching and learning.
Core Teaching Activities
- You will be responsible for the delivery and assessment of a range of modules on our BA (Hons) Dance Performance course
- Our course is practically focused so you will be working in a vibrant, state of the art studio environment
- You will have the opportunity to bring your industry knowledge and experience into the learning environment
Assistant Head of Department Responsibilities
In the Assistant Head of Department (Lead Tutor) role, the postholder will engage in the above activities and, in addition, will support the Head of Department to coordinate aspects of delivery and manage the activities of the academic course team.
LMA is a specialist Creative Industries Higher Education provider with campuses in Metquarter in the centre of Liverpool and at Here East, the education campus on the site of the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park in Stratford, London. We currently deliver our BA (Hons) Dance Performance course at both campuses. LMA is co-owned by internationally renowned singer/songwriter Robbie Williams and is also part of the Galileo Global Education group [GGE] which is one of the largest providers of Higher Education worldwide.
LMA’s aim is to enable all students, irrespective of their backgrounds, to access high quality education and training, preparing them for a successful career in the Creative Industries. Our stated vision – the LMA Way – is to be a “student first” organisation, where both students and staff share the commitment to creating an environment which is courageous, egoless, curious and collaborative. We are an organisation that is passionate about respecting the diversity within our community and supporting all our students and staff to excel.
We are looking for people who have a passion for Dance Performance and who want to share their experience and knowledge with the next generation of talented performers.
- You will have proven industry experience within different areas of the Dance Performance industry, and a passion for teaching and learning
- You will have a first degree in a discipline related to Dance Performance, and/or relevant leading edge industry experience
- You will possess sufficient depth of specialist knowledge to contribute to the development of teaching programmes and provide learning support to students
- You will be able to employ a range of delivery techniques and approaches to enthuse and engage students
- You will be an excellent communicator, possessing good written and verbal communications skills, enabling you to communicate complex and conceptual ideas to a wide range of audiences
- In addition, you will be able to draw on your skills, passion and experience as a practitioner to instruct and enthuse students about the professional standards and expectations of the creative industries
- You will also need to possess excellent interpersonal and empathetic skills and enjoy working as part of a team, supporting others to achieve their full potential
- Given the diverse range of students who study at LMA you need to understand equal opportunity and inclusivity issues as they may impact on academic content and delivery
- You also need to be aware of the needs and challenges that face students from a broad range of backgrounds and be willing to offer support and academic mentoring
- You need to be able to work well under pressure, demonstrating independent and self-managing skills whilst also being a valuable team-player who is collaborative and collegial with colleagues
- You must be committed to engaging in CPD opportunities and be willing to undertake preparation for Associate Fellow/Fellow Status under the HEA Professional Standards Framework, if you don’t already have this
- You should be flexible and open-minded and, on occasion, be prepared to undertake duties outside of standard working hours and/or at different premises if required
If this sounds like you – we’d love to hear from you!
What we offer you:
- Access to continued professional and personal development
- An opportunity to become part of the wider LMA and Galileo Global Education communities
- Staff Wellbeing & support services
- 35 days holiday per year (inclusive of bank holidays) (pro-rata)
- Bonus scheme
- Employer Pension Scheme
LMA is committed to providing an inclusive, supportive work environment for all colleagues.